Last Wednesday I was planning to do a quick track workout to get ready for my 10 mile race on Saturday, but when we woke up it was raining. I love running in the rain, but I didn't want B to get all wet and muddy at the track. Plus it's kind of hard to do a track workout on a dirt track when it's raining. I don't know why most of the tracks around here are dirt! I'd never even seen a dirt track until I moved to TX.
I was planning to meet my running buddy Ashley at the track that morning, but I told her to meet me at my apartment gym instead so we could do our 400's on the treadmill. I had no idea how B would do in the gym, but I decided to give it my best shot. I brought his little car bed, snacks, a movie, and a coloring book to keep him entertained.
He did awesome for about 25 minutes, but this workout didn't go quite as smoothly as our first toddler track workout. He got a little restless and didn't want to watch the movie after awhile. He wanted to explore the gym. There were so many fun "toys" to check out. The weight bench lifted at an angle looked like the perfect slide, and getting soaked in the water fountain is so much better than watching a movie. We were almost done by the time he started roaming around, so he didn't have time to get into too much mischief. (Good thing we had a short workout planned.) We were able to get 6x400 done as well as 2.5 miles of warming up and cooling down
After Ashley and I got off the treadmills to start stretching, B wanted a turn on the treadmill. I turned it on speed 1 and let him have at it. He loved it and didn't want to leave when I told him it was time to go. Then Ashley commented that he might like to walk next to me on the treadmill the next time I wanted to do a treadmill run. I thought she might be right since he seemed to be having so much fun.
Two days later I wanted to do a 2 mile run so I could get my legs warmed up and moving for my race the next day. (I decided to follow Josh Cox's running advice and rest two days before the race and then do a short run the day before the race.) I thought that 2 mile run would be the perfect opportunity to see if B would walk next to me on the treadmill while I ran. He did! But only for about 3 minutes. Darn. He had much more fun getting soaked in the water fountain again than he did walking next to me on the treadmill.
Although those workouts didn't go as smoothly as I hoped, I was glad B was still good enough so I could at least ge them done. I might try one more time on the next rainy day just in case the third time's the charm, but I think I better stick to the outdoor track until he gets a little older. There's a lot less mischief to get into when you're in a big open field. It was worth a try though!
What's the last workout you did that didn't go as planned?
Wow, I'm impressed you gave that a try! Sounds like he did pretty well, all things considered, and at least you still got them done. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that your workouts didn't work out as well as you hoped! At least he was entertained for a little while.
ReplyDeleteI am surprised you got him to stay entertained that long! My son gets bored after 10 minutes so there is no way I could take him to the gym :)
ReplyDelete