When I got home from my run yesterday Scott asked me how it was. My answer, "It was one of the crappiest runs I've had in a long time." I felt slow and heavy, it was too hot and I had dressed too warm (black tights and a black shirt), I was bored without a running buddy or music (my ipod died), I was thirsty and didn't bring water, and I just wanted to quit.
We had gone camping the night before so I didn't do my usual Saturday morning long run with my running buddies. It was about 2:00PM by the time I got out the door to run. I came to a point in my run where I could turn right and be home in 5 minutes, or go straight and run for another 30 minutes. I knew the reason I wanted to quit was because I was lacking motivation and being a wuss in my head complaining about everything I could think of (see above). I thought about the sign that hangs above my bedroom door and decided to go straight. Some heat, boredom and discomfort wasn't going to kill me, but it would make me stronger mentally if I pushed through it.
I realized I might not be improving my physical fitness much because of my sluggish pace, but this run would be for my mental fitness.
So I kept going and pushed through the lack of motivation, and I'll be honest, it didn't get easier. I had to mentally push through my desire to quit the rest of my run. The only thing that kept me going was thinking about the feeling I would have when I was done. Drinking water, showering, and feeling the runner's high are always that much better following the "lack of motivation" run.
Thanks to pinterest for the motivational quotes that summed up yesterday's run perfectly. :)
What do you think about to keep you going when you're lacking motivation?


Well done for going even when you would have preferred to head home! I struggle with the same thing. I try to envision something - a new PR, finishing a marathon - that will inspire me to keep running!
ReplyDeleteI love the last quote-that is awesome! :)
ReplyDelete