I decided the Run Less Run Faster book knows it's stuff because my mileage is the lowest it's ever been right now, but I got a PR in my last half marathon. This week I've been re-reading the chapters on how to recover after a race. Normally I start running way too soon after completing a race, but I'm slowly getting a little smarter as the years go by. Just like I've learned how important tapering is, I've also learned how important recovery is.
Here are a few quotes on recovery from Run Less Run Faster:
"Successful runners are those who have recovered the best."
"Quality Training+Quality Nutrition+Quality Rest=Quality Results"
"Just as runners complete tapers prior to racing, they should gradually return to quality training."
"The key to getting faster is to combine the appropriate amount of training (quality training) with adequate rest and recovery."
And here are 3 simple but important recovery guidelines from RLRF:
1. SLEEP. Sleep may be the most important recovery technique. The body releases growth hormones while we are sleeping to repair stressed muscles.
This one's easy enough right? Who doesn't like to sleep?
2. EAT. It is best to eat within 30 minutes after your race because glycogen resynthesis takes place most rapidly during that time. Your body is like a "carbohydrate sponge" during the first two hours following exercise. The body is able to replace glycogen stores within 22 hours if enough carbohydrates are consumed during that time. Some examples of foods high in carbohydrates are bananas, bagels, pudding, or high glycemic carbohydrate drinks (a.k.a. gatorade).
I need to work on eating within 30 minutes still. I usually don't have much of an appetite right after a hard workout, but I could at least drink some gatorade or something. Oh, and pizza is high in carbohydrates too. :)
3. CROSS TRAIN. Active, low-intensity exercise such as swimming, biking, and rowing allows the stressed running muscles an opportunity to recover. It is during the recovery that the adaptation from the running/training stimulus occurs. That adaptation, or improvement, helps you run faster. Improvement occurs during the recovery phase, and not during the workout itself.
I think the reason why I used to run too soon following a race is because I used to think my choices were either to run, or not exercise. I now know that I can still get an enjoyable workout in without running. I've learned to love cross training. B and I have gone on two bike rides so far this week, and my legs appreciated that much more than a run. It was amazing to realize how different the muscles are that we use for biking as compared to running. My legs were still pretty sore on Monday after the race, but when I went on my bike ride, I barely even noticed the sore spots because I was using completely different muscles.
RLRF suggests resting the day after the half marathon and then resuming cross training. It also recommends reducing the intensity of your training for the next two weeks. One week after the half marathon, the long run should be half your normal distance at an easy pace. The second week after your half marathon, you should be able to resume normal training as long as your body feels healthy and ready.
Thanks RLRF for the recovery tips!
And here's one of my own:
I love The Stick!
Do you start running too soon after a race, or do you enjoy your recovery time?
I used to start running too soon, but this time I'm enjoying my recovery time, and easy bike rides with B in the awesome 50-70 degree weather here.




I LOVE Run Less, Run Faster. My copy is literally falling apart because I reference it so much!
ReplyDeleteI NEED this book.
ReplyDeleteI have heard nothing but good things. I have the worst diet ever.