Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Eat of the Week: A Chocolate Shake With Breakfast


Sometimes you just get a craving for chocolate first thing in the morning. Well, I do anyway. Bos sees a cup full of chocolate, and I see a cup full of vitamins. :) Check out the vitamin contents and health benefits of one cup of spinach right here. Pretty cool. 


I didn't really intend for this to be for him, but of course he always has to sample everything I'm eating. Well, not everything. He's never once asked for a bite of my salads. 


The good thing about smoothies is that you can't really mess them up. Just keep adding stuff until it tastes right. That's what I do. I've made a couple different chocolate shakes a couple different ways. I'll list a few of the ingredients to give you the general idea and then you can add or subtract whatever you want to make it the way you like it. 

This shake gets it's chocolate flavor from about 1 Tablespoon of cocoa powder which has 0 grams of sugar, 0.5 grams of fat, and about 20 calories. Cocoa powder is the way to go if you're looking for a healthy chocolate substitute! 

Here's one recipe example:

1 C. almond milk
1 handful Spinach
1 T. cocoa, or more depending on how chocolatey you want it
1/2 frozen banana
4 strawberries, cut up
1 packet of stevia, or sweetener of your choice
Ice cubes, however many you want to get the desired consistency

Anyone else crave chocolate first thing in the morning? 
I used to like eating almost the same thing everyday for breakfast, but now I crave all sorts of different things. Sometimes I like warm oatmeal, sometimes I like cold smoothies, sometimes I want protein, and sometimes I just want chocolate. :)

1 comment:

  1. I definitely crave chocolate first thing in the morning! And late at night and after workouts and during workouts for that matter.

    ReplyDelete