The phrase "You know you're a runner when..." was on my mind this morning because...
I just spent $80 to register for a half marathon. $80! The irony and truth to the phrase "You know you're a runner when" lies in the fact that I shop for my clothes in the clearance racks, I'm appalled when my husband wants to make a quick stop at a gas station to buy milk because "It's way more expensive there!" (True story. This happened on Saturday), and heaven forbid we turn the redbox in late because we'll waste one whole dollar!
Yes, I can be a tight wad, and yes $80 is way too expensive for a half marathon. Normally I would find a different race, or not do it, BUT the money for this race goes towards helping orphans and adoptive families. That definitely justifies an $80 half marathon. Especially since I have an adorable niece and nephew who are adopted.
Since "You know you're a runner when..." was on my mind this morning, I decided to google it. I had fun reading the different answers that people have come up with. Here are ten of my favorites that apply to me:
1. You have more running clothes than regular clothes in your laundry pile.
2. You no longer hate port-a-potties. In fact, there have been times when you've been very happy to see one.
3. You ask yourself "why did I do this?" the last five miles of a marathon, and "when can I do this again?" five minutes after you finish. (Definitely been there and done that. About 9 times actually.)
4. Your family knows you will run on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
5. Your first thought whenever there are unforeseen schedule changes is "when can I get my run in?"
6. You have dreams about showing up to a race not wearing any clothes (In my case I dream about getting lost on the marathon course. I've had this dream several times in different variations. I'm trying to get to the finish line in a certain time, but I keep getting lost or running into obstacles, so I just keep running, and running, and running.)
7. While driving places, you're constantly evaluating the road for it's running route potential.
8. You believe a t-shirt sleeve is a perfectly acceptable substitute for a tissue. (Only when I'm running, just in case you were wondering.)
9. You get up earlier on Saturdays than any other day of the week.
10. You almost don't recognize some of your closest friends with regular clothes and make-up on. (This was our pre-race good luck dinner for Jenny (blond on the left). She ran a marathon this past Saturday in Ohio in 3:24. She's fast! And this was the first time her and Ashley had ever seen each other in regular (non-running) clothes.)
Now I want you to leave a comment and fill in the blank! This will be fun. "You know you're a runner when ____________."


That's really funny! I obviously can't comment because I am anything but a runner :) That's so awesome you are supporting this race. I just want to say thank you! It brought tears to my eyes looking at that sweet picture of my angels and your excitement to support this great cause. Good luck!!
ReplyDeleteOh my word, this is TOO perfect! Every one of those describes me! (Okay, every one of them except the "more running clothes than regular clothes in the hamper" because I re-wear my running clothes for a few days. It's the frugal in me. and yes it's gross.)
ReplyDeleteFound your blog through a comment on my Fitblogger post. Love this list!
ReplyDeleteMy family's sweaty laundry always outweighs the "regular" laundry. But at least I know I can throw workout clothes in the washer without too much thought - while the other clothes are carefully separated into necessary loads.
ReplyDelete