I love opening the door to this cute face eating breakfast after a good run on Saturday morning. The feeling of accomplishment and productivity is even sweeter when I walk in the door and see that those past two hours I was gone were barely even noticeable to him because he just woke up. Then he always tops off my runner's high with his enthusiastic greetings of, "Hi Mommy! Good job Mommy!" I feel so lucky to have such a happy kid.
I started my run a little earlier this morning so I could be home by 8:15 to hang out with Boston because Scott had a commitment to get to. The alarm went off at 5:00AM, and then I laid there for 5 minutes reviewing in my head how good I would feel after my run was over, and how happy I would be that I had gotten up at 5:00. By 6:00AM sharp I was running at one of my favorite places with three other running buddies. It was pretty dark for the first half, but the 60 degree weather was perfect. If it weren't for that run I never would have felt that blissful crisp air because it's already pushing 100 degrees now at 3:00PM.
When I got home I made a spinach recovery drink, and Boston wanted to try it. To my surprise, he loved it. Next time I'll make him his own because he kept stealing mine, and after 12 miles I'm not the best at sharing my food. OK, I'm never good at sharing my food (Just ask Scott. He learned that the hard way.), but I'm even worse after a long run. I now know how to get this little guy to eat all his veggies.
Here's the recipe for the smoothie I made today, but there are endless possibilities to these:
1 C. unsweetened almond milk
5 strawberries, cut up
1/2 frozen banana
1-2 handfuls spinach
5-7 ice cubes
1/4 C. frozen blueberries
1/2 T. chia seeds (optional)
I've been drinking these spinach smoothies a lot lately for snacks, breakfast, or right after a long run like today, and I love them. I feel like I have more energy the days that I drink them. Maybe it's all that iron in the spinach. I know it may not look the prettiest, but they really do taste very good, and the banana hides the spinach flavor really well. If a 2-year-old likes them, they have to be good right? So happy spinach smoothie, and energy to you! I hope you like them as much as I do.
What do you think about when you're alarm clock goes off to help you get out of bed?



We do one really similar to this, almond milk or yogurt (since we're not always exclusively dairy-free around here, yet), a splash of juice, than handfuls of spinach, a banana, and whatever fruit I have frozen. OH, and flax seed. My one year old loves it so much that whenever he hears the blender going he runs into the room exclaiming, "moothie, moothie!" :-)
ReplyDeleteOh, and I sometimes throw in some carrots too . . . my Mom does some other greens (like kale), but I tend to just stick to spinach and carrots, since their flavor is masked so nicely by the banana . . .
ReplyDeleteWe used to make smoothies all the time and need to get back into doing it...but we add tons of fruit and then a bunch of spinach and carrots too. You can't even taste them and it definitely is a great way to get everything you need! Kambrie gobbles it down too :)
ReplyDelete