Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Eat of the Week: Not an Empty Calorie Cookie

I love these cookies because there's actually some nutritional substance to their ingredients, so I don't feel quite as guilty when I eat four of them in one day. :) 

Don't judge their tastiness by their looks. 
You eat them frozen, and they are the perfect cold and creamy summer treat. (Don't try eating them un-frozen because my husband and I did that the first time we made them and found out they are a million times better frozen.)

I found this recipe on the Oh She Glows blog. Her cookies looked much prettier than mine, so you can check them out if my picture doesn't convince you to make these. Her post is called How to Squash a Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories. However, they're only 80 calories if you can stop after just one. Good luck with that. I can't do it. 

Besides being healthy (for a cookie), and easy to make, I love this recipe because it uses a ripe banana. Now every time I have a ripe banana on my counter I get all excited because that means I have a good excuse to make these cookies! 

 Here's the recipe:
(I changed it slightly from the original one on Oh She Glows, so here's the version I make.)

Yield: 7 small cookies

1/2 C. rolled oats
1/4 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 ripe banana
1 tsp. vanilla
1 T. ground flax
1 tsp. cocoa powder

1. Melt chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl.
2. Chop and mash banana in to chocolate chips.
3. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and mix until all oats are coated with chocolate.
4. Line plate with 7 muffin liners. Freeze. Cookies will remain chewy after frozen.

So easy to make, and so good! I hope you like them! Since I have an incessant sweet tooth and feel the need to eat something sweet after every meal, I figured I could at least try to add a little bit of nutrition to my sweet indulgences. I've been experimenting with other "healthy" dessert recipes, and I can't wait to share some more!

Do you have to have something sweet after every meal?
I do even if it's just a granola bar, or a handful of chocolate chips. I kind of want to break that habit. I guess choosing healthier sweets is my first baby step in that direction. 

2 comments:

  1. YES! I tried eating nutella on whole grain bread to fill my sweet tooth. It works, but it's probably a lot of calories:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum those do look really good and I have a ripe banana!! This is very tempting right now.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete