Thursday, December 22, 2011

Race Recap: My First 10 Miler

I had a feeling I was going to like the 10 mile distance. It's long enough to make it an endurance challenge, and short enough for a little bit of speed challenge as well. Since it was the first time I had ever raced a 10 miler, I wasn't sure what my time goal should be. The last race I had run was my half marathon at the end of October, and based on that time, I thought running under 70 minutes for the 10 miler would be an ideal time. Shooting for under 70 would be a little ambitious for me since I had only done 1 speed workout since my half marathon, but I told myself that if I didn't run under 70, at least I would get an awesome workout trying! 


Race morning breakfast was my usual breakfast these days. Plain rice cake with almond butter, honey, and a banana. I also ate 3 shot bloks before the race started. 

After packet pick-up, me and two of my running buddies went for a 1 mile warm-up run. It was a chilly morning, around 45 degrees, and perfect running conditions! I wanted to run with my buddy Ashley, but was really nervous I would go out too fast and die at the end if I tried to stay with her. I decided to take my chances and start with her anyway. 


I ran with Ashley for about 2 or 3 miles, and then she took a 50-100 meter lead the rest of the way. Ashley kept her lead as first place girl all the way to the end of the race! She finished in 67 minutes. Lucky for me, I get to train with this speedy girl. 


I was in second until just before the half-way point where I got passed and became the third female. I ate a vanilla gu around mile 5 and was able to pick up my pace from about a 7:10/mile to a 6:50/mile. Even though I had picked up my pace, I still got passed by another girl and slipped into fourth place around mile 8. I stayed in fourth place until the hills hit around mile 9. I knew if I was going to pass the third place girl, the hills at the end would be  my chance. I had run this course many times before, so it was to my advantage that I was expecting the hills and knew exactly how long they were. I have no idea if the other girl  knew the course, but I sure was grateful that I did. About 1/2 mile before the end of the race I was able to take third place again. Yay for all those hilly runs around my house with a 50 pound jogging stroller! 


I was very happy to finish with negative splits, and under 70 minutes like I hoped with a time of 68:51. 



Ashley and I were bummed they didn't do overall awards, just age group awards, but we both got 1st in our age since we're in different age groups, and my other running buddy got third in her age. I love my Texas running buddies! I remember being worried about moving to a new State and having to meet all new running buddies. Turns out, I had nothing to worry about. I have some awesome running buddies here. We're all so different in personalities and stages of life, yet we get along perfectly bright and early every Saturday morning on our long runs. That's what I love about the running buddy bond. 



My little running buddy deserves the medal. He's been a trooper his whole life letting me drag him along on my runs and workouts. Not to mention freezing his little hands off that morning while waiting for me to finish and cheer me on. He was pretty excited when I gave him the medal.


He even ran up to these cops to show it off. It was pretty funny. 

What's your favorite weather to race in?
Around 50 degrees and overcast like it was for this race. 

What's your favorite pre-race breakfast? 

Do you run with buddies or by yourself for long runs? 
I don't know what I would do without long-run buddies. 

4 comments:

  1. Great job! I also love the 10 mile distance, that has been my best race so far. Congratulations on being 3rd overall female, exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome race, great job! I was waiting for this recap. :) I love the 10 mile distance, too... haven't done one in years, though. I agree, 50's is perfect temp. And I'm jealous of your long run buddies... i need to find some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome race! I've never done a 10 mile race but I think it's the perfect distance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on your first 10 miler! That is so awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete