Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Eat of the Week: Smokey Apple and Butternut Squash Soup

I've been in a soup mood lately since it's been getting a little colder here. Well, cold for Texas, which just means it's not hot anymore.  I found this really yummy soup recipe in our Costco magazine. I never realized how easy it was to make butternut squash soup. Why did I wait so long to try it?


Here's the recipe:

2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks (about 6 cups)
1 pound apples, peeled and cut into chunks (about 3.5 cups)
1 C. apple juice
1 C. chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. chipotle chili powder
1 T. butter
 Pecans and apple slices for topping


Directions:

1. Add squash, apples, apple juice, chicken broth, salt, and pepper to a large saucepan. Bring to boil. Cover and cook on low heat until the apples and squash are very soft, about 30 minutes. Cool. 

2. Puree squash and apples in blender or food processor. Return to saucepan and bring to simmer, adding more apple juice or broth if needed.

3. Garnish with pecans and apple slices. 

(Recipe slightly adapted from A Decade of Cooking The Costco Way.)


This soup hit the spot post chilly run last Monday night! 

What's your favorite kind of soup?
I think my new favorite soup is the parmesan tomato basil soup we had for dinner last night. The recipe for that will definitely be coming for next Wednesday's Eat of the Week.

5 comments:

  1. LOVE this soup! I make mine with pear. I could eat it for days! I like it with or without whipping cream and want to explore a more savory taste...maybe curry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my favorite soup is probably either lentil soup or pea soup! Yum! This looks delicious though! I will have to try your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy. Im gonna try it out. Beef soup is my favorite. Im making it for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made butternut squash soup, but someone at work was talking about a recipe VERY similar to this one last night. This looks great - I will have to try it ASAP!

    ReplyDelete