Early morning runs are so peaceful and pretty. I always love early morning runs (once I get started), but I still second guess my sanity every single time my alarm clock goes off. Running is such a funny mind-game. I wasn't even sure I wanted to sacrifice some extra sleep this morning, but once I got out there, I didn't want to leave. I met my friend Ashley at 6AM today for some track intervals. We did a 1.25 mile warm-up, 4x800 at 6:15-6:30 pace, and a 1 mile cool down. Ashley got to stay and do a couple more 800's, but I had to hurry home so Scott could go to work.
I've been experimenting with my breakfasts this week to see if I can find something that will keep me full longer. Even though I'm usually craving sweeter things like this in the mornings, I've been trying to eat more protein based things like egg white omelets. Most days I've noticed that it does keep me satisfied for longer, and it also helps curb my sweet tooth (a little bit) for the rest of the day. I guess starting my day off with sweet foods is like kindling for a sweet-tooth fire.
When I got home from my interval workout this morning I thought starting my day off with a couple rice cakes topped with jalapeno cheese, chicken, and avocado would satisfy the hunger monster that usually follows early morning intervals. They were dang good, but they didn't quite do the trick. I am so hungry today! Actually, hungry is an understatement. I'm a ravenous, bottomless pit. No matter what I eat, I can't seem to satisfy my huge appetite. I'm sure a lot of you have had that happen to you after a workout. So here's my question...
What do you eat to satisfy a post-workout hunger monster?


Ahhh this is so true - whenever I do a track workout I am so hungry. I'm convinced I burn like double calories when running fast haha.
ReplyDeleteSometimes eating a huge piece of fruit as a snack later helps...but mostly I just end up eating a huge lunch :)
I am just like you--I get so hungry post-workout! After speed workouts I am definitely much hungrier. I find that I have to include fat to feel full--PB, olive oil, something like that.
ReplyDelete:)
Eggs or another source of protein mixed with good carbs like whole grain toast works for me. Andi that little rice cake looks like hardly any food. I'd be super hungry if that's all I ate!
ReplyDelete