Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Eat of the Week: A Favorite Gluten-Free Treat

This week's recipe is one I got from my mom, and it's called Puffed Grain Squares. I love eating these chocolatey, peanut buttery bars for snacks and dessert. I'll admit though, Scott's not crazy about them. They are definitely on the healthier side when it comes to treats, and Scott's an all or nothing guy when it comes to dessert. For example, if he wants ice-cream, he doesn't want fat free frozen yogurt. He wants a big, thick 1000 calorie shake. I on the other hand am delighted beyond delight to have some fat free frozen yogurt. Same thing goes for these treats. Scott would rather have a brownie, but I'm happy as can be to eat these. 

Sorry, not the best picture. I have yet to take those photography classes! I need to!

1/2 C. nut butter (I usually use 1/4 C. almond butter and 1/4 C. peanut butter, but you can use whatever nut butter you have, or whatever you like.)
1/4 C. honey
1/4 C. margarine
2 T. cocoa powder
3 C. puffed rice

Melt nut butter, margarine, honey, and cocoa powder together. Mix in the puffed rice. Stir well until grain is coated. Place in a 6''x6'' pan. Refrigerate. Cut into squares.

Hope you enjoy this healthy, gluten-free treat!

Do you tend to eat more when something is "healthier"? 
Unfortunately, yes.

Do you have a favorite "healthy" treat? 
Fro yo, these cookies, and puffed grain squares are my favorite right now.

3 comments:

  1. I have actually had times in my life where I gain weight when I focus on eating too healthy. I always have that mindset, oh it's healthy so no restraints. I have learned more now that a calorie is still a calorie no matter where they come from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of my treats are the unhealthy ones. Which is why I'm taking a hiatus for awhile. I need some healthy treats in my life so thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, love ya dearly but won't be making the puffed grain squares! ;)
    I prefer the real thing but when I want a healthy a.k.a. no guilt dessert/treat I go for sweedish fish

    ReplyDelete