After a year of living in San Antonio, I've come to accept the fact that I'm just going to melt like a popsicle all summer long, and there's no getting around it. When I lived in Utah I thought sweating meant wiping a few drops of water off my head every now and then. After moving to Texas, I was introduced to what real sweating is, and I don't think the word sweating even does it justice. When there's not a dry spot to be found on my body, I'd say that was more like melting than sweating.
I used to think getting up at 6:00 a.m. was early enough to earn me a melt-free long run, but now I know better. Even if I beat the sun, I still can't beat the 85% humidity. Today's 10 mile run turned into an 8.5 mile run. The heat and humidity just sucks the life out of me. What was I thinking signing up for a half marathon in the middle of June here? My training plan kind of took a back seat a few weeks ago when I decided I needed a break from running. So come race day, we'll see what my 8-10 mile running weeks will get me. Good thing I have zero expectations for this race, except for the free Carrabba's food afterwards!
After my run and a shower, I went for round two of sweet Saturday sweatiness. If you can't beat the sweat, embrace it! Sweat trickling down my back and in to my eyes is just part of the fun right? The other part of the fun is getting our two-year-old so worn out he takes a 3+ hour nap!
We became the proud owners of the Texas State Parks Pass today. We love the outdoors, and we'll take anything we can get, but can I just say that I was slightly disappointed when I browsed through our state park possibilities? Talk about being punched in the gut with a healthy dose of homesickness. Texas has a lot to offer, and a lot to brag about too, but in my opinion, their state parks aren't one of them. When you've grown up next to the Uintah mountains and spent 95% of your family vacations in a tent trailer at many other natural wonders of the country, you can't help but be a little disappointed with the "natural wonders" of Texas. We'll make do with what we've got though, and the man-made wonders will make up for the rest, because those are something Texas does have bragging rights for.
Sun+sweat=family nap time! After I woke up, I was dreading the fact that I still had to do day 16 of Jillian Michael's 30 day shred. I had had enough sweating for the day. As I sat there eating my lunch, I was trying to think of ways to convince myself to do it. As soon as my lunch was gone I immediately wanted one of my frozen gluten-free cookies. Aha! Bribery works wonders. No cookie until you do your workout. You're past half way, you can't quit now! I really, really, really didn't want to do it. As I was whining to Scott about that he reminded me of my own words, "You can do anything for 20 minutes." Oh yeah, I did say that. Time to eat my own words and do it. It's true, you can do anything for 20 minutes. It wasn't that bad.
After all that sweating, I realized I didn't even want a dang cookie. All I wanted was a giant bowl of sweet, ice-cold watermelon, and...

to jump in the pool with these two!
Sweet and sweaty Saturdays are the best. Can't wait for the next one, except it won't be a sweaty one because we'll be in California! While the rest of my family is looking forward to California for some warmer weather, we can't wait for some cooler weather (and Disneyland)!
What do you crave when it's really hot?
I was craving a snow cone today. Still craving one.



Hi new reader here... I just moved from San Antonio (ok, I say just.. it was about 2 years ago) and remember trying to run in that heat. I'm in Houston now and its only slightly better... so I feel your pain!
ReplyDeleteanyway, loving your blog. :)