It's been awhile since I posted on here! I needed a little blogging break. I've been consumed by the Hunger Games books, the gorgeous Spring weather, trying to learn how to swim in hopes of doing my first triathlon this April, and a myriad of other stuff as well.
I've also been trying lots of new recipes! I was telling my mom and sister over the phone about these yummy chocolate muffins I made from a recipe I found on Pinterest.
These are healthy enough to eat for breakfast for those days you wake up craving chocolate, and yummy enough to eat after a meal to satisfy a sweet tooth. B and I actually had these for breakfast today. I told him he could pick it up with his hands, but apparently eating like a puppy dog is more fun.
Healthy Chocolate Chunk Muffins
1 3/4 C. oats
3 egg whites
3/4 C. unsweetened cocoa
1/2 C. applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 C. plain greek yogurt
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar (or 1-1/2 T. vinegar)
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C. hot water
1 C. sugar substitute (like Splenda granular) OR 1/4 C. stevia (I just used a couple packets of Stevia. I didn't use anywhere near 1/4 C. Pure Stevia is very sweet.)
1/2 C. chocolate chips (You could also use white chocolate or peanut butter chips!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
2. In a blender, or food processor, mix all the ingredients together, except the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth.
3. Place mixture in bowl and stir in 1/2 the chocolate chips (set the rest aside). Scoop mixture into prepared muffin pans.
4. Bake muffins for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove muffins from oven to distribute the rest of the chocolate chips on top of each muffin. (I ended up cooking mine a little longer than 10 minutes. They still looked a little too gooey after 10 minutes to distribute the rest of the chocolate chips.)
5. Place muffins back in oven and cook for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
According to the site I got these from, each muffin has about 120 calories, or you can make 24 mini muffins for 60 calories each. That's a lot better than the 690 calories that are in the Costco chocolate chunk muffins!
What's the last chocolate thing you ate?



I was wondering where you were. :) Glad to hear you're swimming, I need to get back to the pool too. And these look amazing--counting down til Easter when I can have chocolate again! (other than the few slips along the way...)
ReplyDelete