This past week I've been loving oatmeal for breakfast. It probably has something to do with the cold front that's been hanging around here in Texas. A few of my friends have mentioned how they are excited for the summer and pools again, but I think the Winter weather is welcome to stay as long as it wants because Winter running here is the best.
Has anyone else ever eaten oatmeal for breakfast, felt nice and full, and then had a blood sugar crash about 1-2 hours later? That used to happen to me all the time, but I've figured out that my oatmeal just needs some volume and PROTEIN, and it will keep me full for hours without a blood sugar crash.
To get more volume in my oatmeal I've been letting it soak in almond milk in the fridge overnight. Then I add things like 1/4 C. pumpkin, 1/2 scoop chia seeds, or 1/2 of a sweet potato to it. For the protein I either mix in some egg whites or protein powder.
The sweet potato oatmeal I had this morning gave me lots of energy for my treadmill workout and then some swimming practice.
I'm planning to post the treadmill workout I did soon because I dare say I actually had fun doing it, and I hate the treadmill, so it must be a good workout worth sharing!
Here's this week's recipe for now though:
1/3 C. Oatmeal
2/3 C. Almond Milk, Unsweetened
1/2 Cooked Sweet Potato, mashed (I make these in the crockpot and have them in the fridge for when I want a snack or an oatmeal min-in.)
1 tsp. Chia Seeds
2 Egg Whites
1 tsp. Agave or Honey
1-2 tsp. Cinnamon
Pecans and Berries to top
Directions: Mix oats, liquid of choice, and chia seeds in bowl, and let sit overnight. In the morning mix in egg whites, sweet potato, and cinnamon. Cook for 2 minutes in microwave. Stir, and cook for 1-2 minutes longer depending on your desired consistency of oatmeal. Add in agave or honey, and top with pecans and berries. Yummy, and pretty dang filling for 300 calories!
What's your favorite oatmeal mix-in?
What's your favorite breakfast lately?
Last week it was protein smoothies, and this week it's oatmeal.
I love the idea of oatmeal protein mix. How come I never thought of that? I also love Pumpkin!! What a great idea! I cannot wait to try this.. I eat a lot of protein bars and Cliff Bars.. I am wanting to get into protein smoothies.. Just haven't really found one I like. .They taste so yucky!
ReplyDeleteI like to eat apples in my oatmeal. I like the warm/cold contrast. Oatmeal is always so great when it's cold : )
ReplyDelete