Friday, January 20, 2012

Run Every Year On Your Birthday

That was one of my favorite bits of advice from Kara Goucher's Running For Women book that I recently finished reading.

It was in the chapter on "Foolproof Strategies For Keeping You Fit, Lean, Happy, and Energized For The Long Run." She said there is no better way to start your special day than to run first thing in the morning on your birthday. "It'll stay with you the rest of the day--I'm fit, I'm a runner, another great year to look forward to!"

I loved that because my birthday has always been one of my favorite days to run since I started running in high school. People would sometimes say to me, "It's your birthday, why are you going running!?" And in my mind I would think, "It's my birthday! That's why I'm running!" In fact, the longer my run is on my birthday, the better. That just means even more cake right? :)

Speaking of birthdays...


This cute guy turns 3 today!!!

We are celebrating by taking him to the Spurs game tonight, and then he gets to have a little party with his friends tomorrow. He's requested a basketball cake, so I'm on the search for some good orange frosting today. We might even celebrate by starting our day with a short jogging stroller run too. He's no awake yet, so it'll depend on his willingness to go. Just heard his little knock, so I guess I'l go find out.


Do you like to run on your birthday, or would you rather take the day off? 


7 comments:

  1. Awww happy birthday to your sweet little man :) what a handsome boy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to B!! L was asking for him the other day, and I had to explain that he lives far away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 3rd birthday to your handsome son.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My birthday is this coming Friday and I am totally going to do this! A great idea! :) Happy birthday to your lil man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy third birthday to your son!

    I haven't been a runner on my birthday yet, but I am planning on doing a virtual race to celebrate it this year. So, you bet I am going to run on my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to run on my birthday and was sad that I couldn't run this year due to an injury. I've even run a 1/2 marathon and marathon on my birthday (Houston), which was a blast!

    ReplyDelete