Thursday, October 27, 2011

5 Race Day Tips From Run Less Run Faster


I bought this book awhile ago and would definitely recommend it. It's not one of those books you will read once and then stick on the bookshelf to forget about. It has several useful training plans for a variety of race distances, including specific training plans for Boston qualifying times, and all sorts of pace charts. I'm always pulling this book out to look up paces and workouts. 

I've been following the half marathon training plan in here (for the most part) for my half marathon this Saturday. I haven't followed it perfectly, but that's mostly because I'm not really in racing mode right now. I'm in run for fun and stay in shape mode. The training plan is based around three important runs: a tempo run, track intervals, and a long run. I've done pretty well with the track intervals and long runs, but my tempo runs were usually slow jogging stroller runs. I've never been into cross training or intervals, but I've really learned to love both of them, and I can't believe it took me 9 marathons to realize how important both speed work and cross training are!

Since my half marathon is in two days I decided to go back and re-read some of the things I highlighted the first time I read this book. 

Here are a 5 things from Run Less Run Faster that I think will help me this Saturday:

1. An early fast pace has consequences. "Run the first half too fast, and you slow down at a much faster rate in the second half. Run the first half too slow, and you can't make up the time in the second half. We strongly believe that running even splits is a desirable goal and a realistic one for 5-K's, 10-K's, and half marathons." (For marathons they recommend trying to keep the disparity between the two halves less than 5 minutes apart since it's far more difficult not to slow down the second half of the marathon.)

I'm not so focused on aiming for even splits as I am for not starting out too fast. I've noticed on all my long runs that when I allow myself to start slower and gradually increase my speed, I finish feeling better and with a faster overall pace despite my slower pace in the beginning. 

2. Another reason to aim for even splits: "The most efficient energy yield from stored glycogen occurs with an even running pace. A fast pace early in the race speeds the depletion of glycogen and leads to "hitting the wall.""

3. How many calories to eat race morning: "(Hours before race) x (body weight in pounds)= number of calories to eat. For example, if you wake up at 6:00 a.m. and your race is at 8:00 a.m., that's 2 hours. For a 150 pound runner that would be 2x150=300 calories."

4. How much to eat during the race: 6-8 ounces of sports drink every 30-35 minutes, or an energy gel with water every hour. This will help maintain blood glucose levels and prevent "hitting the wall."

5. Good running form: "Runners need to monitor their form to make sure they stay relaxed. Fatigue often causes runners to tighten their upper bodies, which reduces efficiency. Going through a mental checklist periodically while training and racing can help remind you that your hands, arms, neck, etc. need to be relaxed. In particular, runners tend to lean forward and push their hips back when fatigued, a body position not conducive to economical and effective running."

I'm guilty of the upper body tightening as well as leaning forward and pushing my hips back when I'm tired. I'm going to try to remind myself throughout my race to keep my upper body relaxed and my hips in line. 


I know I have a few friends running a half marathon this weekend as well, so I hope these tips help them too, and anyone else who has an upcoming race! 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I have not read this book but had been looking for what equation to use with fuel on race day. And duh, I bet I have been leaning forward causing me to run on my forefoot more when I'm tired. I will have to do some tweaking! You have given me some things to think about!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are good tips! I am excited to hear about your race when you are done on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks for posting this!! I'm nervous about the whole "not starting out too fast thing" because this race is pretty much downhill! It starts at the Alpine Loop and ends at the Riverwoods, so it will be hard to not go to fast at the beginning. Hmm... I will just try to focus. Anyway, good luck tomorrow! It's like we are running partners during this race, just in different states :)

    ReplyDelete