On Monday night as I was dragging myself to the gym, feeling sluggish and full from dinner, I thought about turning around and going back home because I knew running on a full stomach wouldn't be ideal. Then I realized if I only ran when all conditions were ideal (weather, energy level, stomach comfort), I would only run about twice a year. So I continued my full-bellied walk to the treadmill and did an extra long warm-up before I started one of my favorite get-back-in-the-mood-to-run treadmill workouts.
I thought I'd share the workout because I always like getting new workout ideas from others. I like to do this workout when I want a good workout, but my legs (or stomach) feel too sluggish for speed intervals. I also love it for the days when I'm not in the mood to run because it breaks up the time on the treadmill, and before I know it I've gotten an awesome hour-long workout in.
By the time this workout was over I was drenched in sweat, feeling anything but sluggish, and remembering why I love running so much.
I hope you find this workout useful too whether you're trying to become a stronger, faster runner, or just wanting to burn some major calories. It would also work well for walking if you don't like to run.
Here's the workout:
(*Note: Between each interval I had a rest interval of about 1-1.5 minutes. You can walk or slowly jog. When you get to the half-way point you get a 5 minute rest interval.)
Start with a 1 mile warm-up. Then...
Treadmill Incline | Time | Speed |
2% | 5 minutes | 7.5 (Whatever a normal walking or running pace is for you.) |
3% | 4 minutes | 7.5 |
4% | 3 minutes | 7.5 |
5% | 2 minutes | 7.5 |
6% | 1 minutes | 7.5 |
0-1% | 5 minutes | easy jog, or walk |
6% | 5 minutes | 7.5 (Get through this and the rest of the workout is cake.) |
5% | 4 minutes | 7.5 |
4% | 3 minutes | 7.5 or faster |
3% | 2 minutes | 7.5 or faster |
2% | 1 minutes | As fast as you can! (You'll feel like you can fly!) |
End with a 1 mile cool-down.
What's something you do to pass the time on a treadmill?

I love reading my kindle on the treadmill. It's one of the few things that motivates me to work out - free reading time all to myself.
ReplyDelete