When I was training for the Boston Marathon I started trying to eat protein with every meal to try to tame the hunger beast that I was creating by waking up at 5:00AM for treadmill workouts. I also knew more protein would not only help keep me full longer, but it would also help build and repair my muscles that I was constantly tearing down in my workouts.
I quickly learned that replacing regular yogurt with greek yogurt was a fast, easy, and yummy way to get more protein in my diet. I love the thick, creamy texture of greek yogurt and the fact that it has almost twice as much protein as regular yogurt. Here's some more information on greek yogurt vs. regular yogurt. I also started adding ground flax and almonds anywhere I could for a little extra protein. I combined all these ingredients, and a few more, to make up this cold and creamy protein parfait.
It's not only one of my favorite post-workout snacks, but I also love it for dessert. Creamy greek yogurt mixed with frozen blueberries has the same cold and creamy effect that ice cream does. And if you read this post, you know how much I love ice cream. As much as I would love to eat ice cream every night, I would also love to live to a ripe-old healthy age. This little treat does a good job with replacing an ice cream craving every now and again.
Ingredients:
1/2 C. greek yogurt
1/2 C. frozen blueberries
1/4 C. raspberries
1/2 C. sliced strawberries
1 T. sliced almonds
1 T. ground flax
1 tsp. agave (or honey to sweeten the greek yogurt)
(This parfait has about 230 calories, and 16 grams of protein.)
Directions:
1. Mix agave or honey in to greek yogurt.
2. Top with everything else
3. Enjoy your cold and creamy treat for breakfast, post-workout, or dessert!
It tastes even better with an orange spoon from Orange Leaf frozen yogurt. :)
What's your favorite way to get some protein?
I also love the turkey sausage links from Costco. 40 seconds in the microwave, and I have a yummy 120-calorie protein snack!
Do you think the spoon you use makes a difference in how much you enjoy your food?
Yes! Scott learned way back when we were dating that I was picky about my spoons. Big spoon for cereal, little spoon for everything else, and cool colored spoons from frozen yogurt joints are the best. Am I the only one that likes to save plastic spoons from frozen yogurt places to re-use at home?
Mmm that looks good. I totally want to make one now! I nearly bought some greek yogurt today but I couldn't remember which one everyone said tasted better than the rest.
ReplyDeleteI'm the same way with my spoons! Except I almost always need a small spoon, everything is better that way. I make almost the same greek yogurt creation and its perfect!
ReplyDelete:)
I LOVE Greek yogurt! Have you tried Siggi's?
ReplyDelete